Thursday, October 28

Horsing about

Gambling on horseracing is quite the popular pasttime in Hong Kong. I never realised what a horse-crazy place it was until one day when I walked into a boutique asking for the bridalwear section. They apologised and said that they didn't stock clothes for horseriding. With that, I stomped my foot, threw my head back and let out a loud whinny, then galloped out of there as fast as I could.

Next Tuesday will be an important one for racegoers because of the Melbourne Cup. It is the race that stops the nation of Australia and gets it so drunk that it throws up in its expensive hat afterwards. The fashions on the field are always worth a snark but let's forget about all that whoresy organza and taffeta for a second to reflect on some true horsey goodness.

Pony chair

This Finnish chair is so so very cute. Almost as cute as a real life mini guide horse which I just want to put in my pocket and take everywhere with me. Before sitting on the Pony Chair, I would put attach hair extensions to its head and carefully twist them into a French braid, then stick glittery, colourful stickers all over its body. And I would call it Sugar Rainbow Brite Kisses. Wow, there's the whole afternoon gone already just thinking about all the adventures we would have in Ponyland.

Horsehair boots

Austrian designer Helmut Lang is quietly confident that his horse hair boots (available in black too) will become as coveted as Dior's saddle handbags and the Gucci horsebit bag. Oh those Austrians, always trying to emulate the wackiness of their German cousins only to end up looking stiff and awkward like the bristles of these boots. From the animal's perspective, as if being turned into glue wasn't humiliating enough.

Horse pillow
Inspired by the Godfather movie, the severed horsehead pillow seems to take up more than its half of the bed. Now I know what Matthew Broderick, Danny Moder and whoever Jennifer Garner is dating these days (Ben Affleck?) feel like when they wake up in the morning.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger Jon said...

I'm not much of a Helmut Lang fan- I like simplicity, but his clothes make me think of 1980s man whore- most of his stuff makes me think of the River Pheonix film 'My Own Private idaho', with a little bit of a Euro flair added. Am I making sense?

And how do you sit on that horse chair? It does look cute, but it looks like something for kids

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Amelia said...

I'm wondering if they will make the horse-hair boots in chestnut with copper highlights, or even palamino?

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger me said...

Taking of shoes, Beautiful Atrocities feels Manolo's is suspiciously similar to Spirit Fingers in demented humor....

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spirit Fingers are not the Manolo. Different limbs, for one.

LBYB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home